Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Class Reunion 2009

Greetings.

I realize I might send out a few negative emails from time to time. Today is different. Today I just wanted to send something out to brighten your day. Today I wanted to make you feel REEEEEELY good about yourself. I think it will work….


So I was working on Thursday, doing a little bit of oventending at my pizza place. It was mid afternoon, our slowest time, and a customer walked in. He stood about 6ft 2 or so and looked like a total mess, like many of my customers. One of my employees took care of him, or so I thought. They called me over, which they usually do when they aren’t sure what to do. So I walk over and find out this mess of a human being is trying to get change for a 100 dollar bill. The guy looked old and ragged, shaky and clearly strung out on something that I couldn’t quite identify. He asked me if I had change for a hundred, and I asked “are you buying something?” He said ‘No, I just need two tens.” Then I looked at him closer and realized I went to high school with him. I then smiled and said “What’s up Smith!?! (not his real name but no need to call him out)” He stood there silently, you could see his brain trying to figure out who the hell I was. Finally he said in a way slower cadence than a normal human “Gilewski……oh man we had some crazy times….remember that one…..time we….” The whole time he was shaky and barely functioning. He mumbled a few other things and I finally told him I didn’t have any change for him. I actually did, but I’m pretty sure the 100 dollar bill was a fake. I am no expert on drug addiction but I’ve seen Intervention enough times to suspect it.

If that wasn’t enough excitement, two days later my wife and I went grocery shopping. We parked in the Pick N Save parking lot, prepared to live up to our life, and got out of the car. Immediately we were confronted by a homeless-looking man who appeared to be in his mid-forties. He approached us and used the old “my car broke down, I called everyone I know, I just moved here from Florida……Can I borrow 12 bucks so I can fix my car?” I’m sure we’ve all heard some variation of the story a dozen times. He then pulled out his driver’s license before I could tell him no. “See, I just moved here from Florida and I have no way to fix my car.” I looked at the license which was handed to me. I read the name – John Doe (again name has been changed to protect the guilty) I went to high school with this guy and just then he realized it too. “Dude….did you go to Oak Creek High School?” he asked. “Yeah.” I replied, “but I can’t help you, I have no cash, only credit cards. We then shopped.

This guy looked bad. I swear the guy looked 45. I never really knew the guy but holy shit!

Both incidents in 4 days. I hope I get the damn swine flu to avoid my next encounter….


Go Knights! Class of 94 Rules!!!

Later,
dg

No comments:

Post a Comment